My "Country Roads"

>> Thursday, June 19, 2008

fireflies

Most of you know that I was born and raised in good ole' Michigan. Home of the Great Lakes, the Red Wings, Deee-troit Basketball, The Tigers, snow, and cold. However, some of you have never heard of my hometown of Millington. There are a few that will read this and remember their roots as they grew up right down the road from me. My hometown was small and still is small. Where days are long and lazy. When riding bikes down the country roads to go to the "Curly Cone" or Murphy Lake was the highlight of a summers afternoon. When trips to the woods would last all day and imagination would run wild. Football, Festivals, Turkey Nob ( a giant sledding hill), building damns, baleing hay, watching the neighboor and his draft horses plow the feilds, catching fireflies. Oh how I remember the feilds upon feilds of dewy alfalfa sparkling with fireflies. Summer time always makes me remember my youth and the wonderful peice of earth that I grew up on.

Recently a friend of mine and I have been planning our 10 year class reunion. An absolute feat for a class of oh...about 120. ha! The funny thing is, this class of 120 started school together in kindergarten and graduated together. Most still stay in touch. Most still live in Millington. Its amazing to me to think that for 12 years we were all so connected. I am anxious to see everyone again. But in planning for the event, I am finding myself almost homesick for those simple days again. Reminiscing of my roots and where I came from and what had a huge part in molding me into the person I am today.

My friend sent me a link to this blog. Thought it would help explain "me":
http://mytravelswithblackbetty.blogspot.com/2007/08/millington-michigan.html

Millington- 1922- Main Street (add cement and a stoplight and it still looks the same)

1 comments:

Olson Family June 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

wow, that just brough back alot of memories. I kind of miss it. I think I burned a path in the road form my house to yours with my bike tires. Were you with me when we thought we were so funny and stacked wood across that driveway? We had a lot of fun times.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP