What Works for me Wednesday!

>> Wednesday, September 17, 2008


"You've lost ALL your marbles"


Ok- I may have said that to my 4 year old in the middle of Walmart while he was choosing to not listen to me, but I was really talking about marbles. Marble from his marble jar. Although I received a few stares from crotchety old ladies, I didn't care because I've implemented the marble jar in our home for a couple months now and it has worked wonderfully. We still use the choice method, but this seems to help as well. I've seen such a difference. There are still fights and disagreements (but brothers will be brothers). When the boys do something "good" they get a few marbles in their jar. If they do something "not good" since we don't like the word -bad-, they remove a marble (or two or three depending on the deed). I'm finding little helpers all the time. Washing windows, vacuuming floors, setting the table, and even helping each other. The marble jar really helps the boys learn that doing good deeds is important and the feelings they receive for doing service is a happy emotion (though their reward is a dollar store trip or a race car which makes them happy). Try the marble jar. You will see your little one grow up a little bit and I guarantee it will make you smile.

2 comments:

Olson Family September 18, 2008 at 7:35 AM  

I am definately trying this. Avery puts me close to tears on a daily basis. I love her so much, but she really just pushes my buttons, and laughs about it. We have tried many things but they get old to her fast. Don't get me wrong, she is a very good girl, but just has a very strong independent personality. Thanks for the tip.

Leah September 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM  

I could have posted the same picture! Only Zack was washing my kitchen table!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP