The day I remember

>> Thursday, September 11, 2008

As I sit in bed with a terrible head cold tonight, I link to my favorite blogs to see what they are up too. This is pretty much a daily ritual, however, I was expecting a little more today. I didn't see what I was looking for. I suppose the date of today has just become "another day" in the lives of busy people. Just another day marking another step toward fall and the end of 2008. Work, play, kids, dinner to make, groceries to get, laundry to do, etc. etc. But today marks a sad anniversary in the history of all Americans and I remember..........



I remember being at good ole' Cape Fear Valley Health Systems working at my desk. I remember Sam coming to me and telling me that a plane hit the towers in NYC. I remember rushing to the physicians lounge to watch CNN on the big screen. I remember standing motionless in awestruck terror as I watched the towers come crashing down.





I remember going back to my office and every single person listening to their radios. Fingers had stopped typing, chatter had ceased and the office was silent as we all listened and heard our lives change forever. Some wept, others were shocked, while some were frantically making phone calls. I remember going home that evening to an empty house. Neighbors on the street, scared and worried, while talking of nothing but the events of the day. My husband locked down at Fort Bragg and unable to call or come home for days. Millitary men and woman poised to leave and fight at the sound of a whisper. The not knowing, the deep loss, the sacrifice. America was stabbed to its inner core.
I remember and thus will never forget!

3 comments:

Leah September 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

I will never forget that day either. I sat, horrified, watching it as it happened on the Today Show. I remember saying to my dad "woah look that plane is so close to the buildings". And my dad told me no it just looks like it and when I went and touched the screen, it crashed into the building.

The anxiety and fear I developed over everything and anything after that day is something I am still trying to overcome.

I too, will never ever forget.

Hugs Tears

Karen September 12, 2008 at 7:52 AM  

I remember sitting with you and the other members of the round table at lunch and discussing what we had heard. Everyone was just stunned by it all. I remember how Bragg went into lock down mode and people were stuck on the roads for hours. I remember how everyone transformed into flag-wavers overnight...wish that we had never lost that feeling. Thanks for sharing and hope you are feeling better. Love ya!

Olson Family September 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Good post. I had every intention of writing something about the day, but not being by a computer, having what I think is the beginnings of a migraine and a baby with croup and up fo 3 nights in a row, I did not get around to it. I do remember that day very clearly though. I flew back to Utah from Michigan on the day before it all happened. I was there because my dad had just found out he had cancer. It was a very emotional time and then to throw 9/11 in the mix. I will never for get it. My uncle flys a private jet for an engineering company and was at the pentigon that day. My aunt did not hear form him for a few days. Very scary time.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP