Feed it to the birds

>> Monday, January 26, 2009


I love my fury and feathered friends. I think of them often, especially since we have had below zero temps in my neck of the woods. I worry about them and get concerned that they can't find food or shelter. Since I can't invite them all into my warm house, I feed them. I've posted before about birdseed ornaments and since the animals loved them, the boys and I make them weekly. I have still kept up with my composting, but instead of throwing my compost in a bin, I put them in a big bowl on my porch. We have all our bird feeders hung and filled. Most of all, the excitement the boys and I get from seeing the birds come or catching a rabbit munching on old lettuce is priceless. SO....I was very excited to find a post on one of my favorite blogs about fun ways to feed our birds. I have some cranberries in the fridge that would be perfect for this suet. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow with the boys. Check out this site for some other pretty easy ways you can help keep our animals fed this winter.





Cranberry Suet
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup real cranberries or raisins
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 teaspoon sand
1 cup lard (or ground suet)
Mix first five ingredients in large bowl. Melt lard in a double boiler. When in liquid form, pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon mixture onto piece of waxed paper and let dry.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP